Post Formats is a theme feature introduced with Version 3.1. A Post Format could be a piece of meta info that may be utilized by a subject matter to customise its presentation of a post. The Post Formats feature provides an even list of formats that area unit offered to any or all themes that support the feature. Themes aren’t needed to support each format on the list. New formats can not be introduced by themes or perhaps plugins. The standardization of this list provides each compatibility between various themes associate degreed an avenue for external blogging tools to access this feature during a consistent fashion.
In short, with a subject matter that supports Post Formats, a blogger will amendment however every post appearance by selecting a Post Format from a radio-button list.
- aside – Typically styled without a title. Similar to a Facebook note update.
- gallery – A gallery of images. Post will likely contain a gallery shortcode and will have image attachments.
- link – A link to another site. Themes may wish to use the first <a href=””> tag in the post content as the external link for that post. An alternative approach could be if the post consists only of a URL, then that will be the URL and the title (post_title) will be the name attached to the anchor for it.
- image – A single image. The first <img /> tag in the post could be considered the image. Alternatively, if the post consists only of a URL, that will be the image URL and the title of the post (post_title) will be the title attribute for the image.
- quote – A quotation. Probably will contain a blockquote holding the quote content. Alternatively, the quote may be just the content, with the source/author being the title.
- status – A short status update, similar to a Twitter status update.
- video – A single video. The first <video /> tag or object/embed in the post content could be considered the video. Alternatively, if the post consists only of a URL, that will be the video URL. May also contain the video as an attachment to the post, if video support is enabled on the blog (like via a plugin).
- audio – An audio file. Could be used for Podcasting.
- chat – A chat transcript.
For more information please visit WordPress Website.